30 December 2006

HI, Part 2 & an exciting new discovery

I had this brainstorm the other day, and decided to call the airline (for my trip to HI) about finding a comfy seat on the plane. I said, "I'm a large person and was wondering if there are any seats on the plane that are more accommodating." The phone rep didn't seem to bat an eyelash at the request and said, "Sure, let me check out the seating arrangement on your plane."

Of course in the fantasy version of this scenario the rep then says, "Actually, First Class is underbooked so I'll upgrade you at no extra charge." Heh.

I was so jazzed to hear him say we're reserved, both ways, on a row with just an aisle and a window seat, and that the row has a little extra leg room. Woo hoo! Then I looked up the floor plan on the carrier's website and was surprised to see that, on this particular jet, Coach rows are laid out in a 2 - 3 - 2 pattern. It detracted slightly from the "excellent score" aspect -- but seriously, it takes away like 50% of my anxiety about this trip to know I won't be squishing anyone and that I won't be squished. The other 50% of the anxiety I can deal with now that the burden ain't so heavy. It's all good. Aloha nui nui!

UPDATE: 1/24/07
I had a helluva lot more to worry about than being fat on this trip. Such as: major family drama, major family reconciliation, the flu, coughing so hard as result of the flu that I vomited, ensuing ear infections from the flu, and a freaky flight home.

But, I had the best ice cream cone in the entire freaking world in Koloa, after a hearty swim session. If you go to Hawaii you must have Lappert's ice cream, and preferably in the chocolate-dipped waffle cone. YUM!

*****


The exciting new discovery is that of Zaftique, an online plus size boutique. The line isn't perfect, but I am so thrilled to see a big range of styles offered, seemingly good construction and fit, and to see the clothes modeled on real fat people. I loves me some of the Chevron Dress in Eggplant, the Surplice Ruched Dress in Blue, but especially the Rose Crochet Dress in Black. I would wear that shit to my own wedding!

Check Zaftique out if you get a chance. (They're listed on the sidebar now.)

No comments: