21 October 2005

Fat cat

Judging me, a human, for being fat is one thing... but my cat?

Honey Bunny and I have new upstairs neighbors. I heard through a mutual friend that he thinks my cat is too big. Of course, one of their cats is named "Shamu" - as in the famous whale - so maybe there's a theme here.

If my cat were human, she'd probably be about a size 14. Yeah, she'd be shopping at Lane Bryant and some of the 14s would be too small on her while some of the 16s would be too big, and she'd complain aloud about the state of shopping at her size 15 while the size 26s in the store sneered at her in contempt. Granted, being a seriously fluffy Norwegian Forest Cat doesn't help matters in the size department. Her kitty afro is so beautiful that it makes the other cats in the neighborhood jealous. But seriously, she's at the bottom of the plus-size cat scale, thank you very much.

This isn't the first time I've heard something about her weight, either. Everytime she goes to the vet, they tell me she needs to lose weight. (Funny, because that's what happens everytime *I* go to the doctor, too.) Kitty has actually lost 3 pounds in the last year because she hates the urine-crystal-abatement-plan food she's now required to eat. Now she's got belly flab that hangs down and swings when she walk.

Long round-about point being that it's bad enough fat is obsessed about so readily in our human culture, but are people so conditioned against fat that they're now pointing the finger at fat pets, too?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is great!!! I love all of your posts so far. Pace yourself and don't burn out now.... you're on my regular reading list.

Anna