29 September 2005

Welcome!

I've been fat pretty much my whole life, or at least since I can remember trying to dress myself in something stylish. And you know what? It seriously sucks sometimes.

It sucks because lots of people still think it's perfectly fine to express prejudice against us fat folk.

It sucks because our dating pool (regardless of what gender you prefer) is typically lessened due to full-scale comprehensive conditioning by mass media that selects thin over fat.

It sucks because we can feel so much body shame that it's hard to get out to try new things, meet new people, have new life experiences.

Mostly, it sucks because we only have like 20 stores - several of which are on the internet only - to buy clothes from!

BUT -- what I listed above doesn't have to stop you from having a life and being a happy little fat camper most of the time. You should not, under any circumstances, buy into the culture of fat phobia! Sure, we all have our good days and our bad days in direct relation to our bodies. Sometimes you watch the Oscars and you wish like hell that you could look like Kirsten Dunst does in vintage Chanel. Other times, you're in the dressing room at your favorite fat girl store trying on the fanciest dress/jeans/lingerie/whatever your thing is, and you jump up and down with excitement because you look wicked good, and it ain't got nothing to do with the size you're wearing.

Buying in to fat phobia is believing that you're "less than" the skinny chick who is your sister, friend, coworker, a stranger on the street, or the model up on the billboard. You have just as much right to have the life you want as anyone else on this earth. Besides, chances are (sadly) that the skinny chick has serious issues with her body too.

The opposite of fat phobia is not necessarily hard-core campaigning for the rights and acceptance of fat people. I do think that every fat person should do their part to set the record straight with the people in their lives. If anyone harshes on you about losing weight, tell them that it's none of their business because seriously -- it isn't. If you want to lose weight or become more fit, then you should do it... but don't even go there just because someone tells you you "need to".

My blog will probably be on the lighter end of the spectrum, because my main interest is fashion and all that. Of course, please feel free to add comments, suggestions, tips at the end of each post, or write me an email.

Welcome to my Guide to the Fat Life!
XOXO, Zaftig Girl

2 comments:

texsinger said...

i seriously love your blog so far, and hope you continue writing! i am a fat chick; one who has faced all you have written about and more, and i have in the last 3-4 yrs finally come to love myself as i am.. like you, i have also wished to be ms. skinny movie star, too, and fit into some hot couture outfit, but damn it, i look pretty good in fat clothes!! i have my ups and downs like everyone else, but thanks to a new mindset, and also an awesome boyfriend who loves me just like i am, i am me, and very happy with it..

keep up the good work! i will definitely link you in my blog.. feel free to visit anytime..

Anonymous said...

Loving this blog! I also have been the "fat girl" all my life. And guess what? I have learned in my 30 or so years on this planet that love/power/luck/style/smarts are not reserved for the "skinny bitches".
-The greatest love of my life fell in love with me at my heaviest weight. He calls me "Thick and delicious". Meeeooowww!
-I have a hip, thiving business in entertainment where I gets to do what I loves to do. (And that means casting my fellow zaftig chicks in plum roles on stage.)
-I am educated, energetic, and I really love who I am and my weight is no one's damn business but my own.
I love my curves. Being thick has never slowed me down.
Love this so much, Varlot. You should be proud!