14 April 2006

*Phat Girlz*, Part 2

So I saw Phat Girlz last night, and it was definitely enjoyable. I hadn't realized that it was a low budget production, or that it was shot on digital video rather than film... and those things made me like it more, actually. It lended a sadness to the story that would've been missed if it were a sparklingly clean and expensive production.

Of course there's a happy ending - no surprise there - but I was glad (and somewhat surprised) to see and feel those "sad" qualitites during the majority of the film. Being fat is, afterall, complicated. Sometimes you feel like a diva and sometimes you feel like you're unlovable, and Mo'Nique did a great job of conveying that conflict in her role.

It's by no means a terrific or perfect movie. I just love that Mo'Nique decided to tackle the issue, and no matter how corny the ending gets - "Plus-Size Revolution Takes World By Storm!" - it's a sweet fantasy to have.

No comments: