26 March 2006

I heart fat girl lit

Jennifer Weiner is such a fun writer. If you haven't read (or seen) In Her Shoes or read any of Jennifer's other work, I highly recommend it. Good in Bed will always be a classic for me. ("Shouts" to any of you who remember the first chapter of Good in Bed being published in Mode magazine!) Jennifer's blog, SnarkSpot, is bookmarked on my browser, and I check it out every few days - although it seems she's become a busy little bee in the past year and writes pretty infrequently. But when she does, it's a good time had by all.

Did anyone see her in the April issue of Glamour magazine? It was within an article called "What It's Like..." where various women weigh in on what their lives are like. For instance, "...to Become Famous as Jessica Simpson's Assistant", ie. Cacee Cobb. Jennifer Weiner's was, "...to be Plus Sized on the Red Carpet", in reference to her experience with In Her Shoes.

I've also been reading Liza Palmer's blog lately. Parts of Conversations with the Fat Girl hit so close to home, I practically shriveled in my own skin while reading.

My friend Theresa gave me Jane Green's novel, Bookends, for my birthday last year. I had read a cast-off copy of Jemima J a couple of years ago and really hated it. (Jennifer Weiner didn't like it either. I was at one of her book signings and someone asked her what "chick lit" books she didn't like. She said, and I'm paraphrasing, "I won't name names, but it rhymes with 'Fafima Fey'.") But, I read Bookends despite my hesitation and ended up liking it quite a bit.

There's lots of other good and/or fun fat girl fare out there. People have always told me I should read Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone, so I'm just about to embark on it. Hopefully it won't be too painful, but something tells me it's going to be.

No comments: